What is J-1 VISA Internship Program?
J-1 Visa (Exchange Visitor Visa)is a U.S. Department of State program designed to increase mutual understandings between the people of the United States and the people of other countries by means of educational and cultural exchanges. The program allows eligible foreign nationals to receive training or participate in internships in the United States. A non-profit organization accredited by the U.S. Dept. of State is the J-1 Sponsor who evaluates intern applicant and host company, and control/monitor the J-1 internship program.
Advantages of Host Company
- “Introduce Capable Intern/Trainee Participants Who Have Business Experience”
Introduce capable Intern/Trainee participants who have business experience: Since Intern/Trainee participants have some work experience in Japan or other countries, host companies can concentrate on training through the training program, such as U.S. management techniques, methodologies, and expertise.
- “No Need To Hire Attorney”
J-1 visa is processed via non-profit organizations with our support, those host companies are not burdened with legal expenses associated with other types of visas.
- “Less Visa Processing Time Than Other Visas”
Processing time for J-1 Visa Internship/Training Program takes approximately 8 to 12 weeks, which is significantly shorter than most other visas. We are able to approximately 8 to 12 weeks, which is significantly shorter than most other visas. We are able to complete the VISA application with expedition and effect while closely cooperating with the accredited NPO organizations.
- “No Cost for Hiring”
There will be no cost for accepting the interns, cost to bear for working VISA on the other hand. You do not need to pay for any hiring costs.
- “Motivation Enhancement in Your Office”
Intern/Trainee participants pay their own expenses to participate in internship programs. Thus participants are highly motivated to learn, and their motivation transfers to existing Host company employees, increasing company morale.
- “Reasonable Stipend”
Internship/Training participants come to the United States for the purpose of receiving training, and not to work. Therefore, the host company is only required to provide interns/trainees with a limited stipend. There will be less financial burden.
- “Waiver of Some Traditional Employment Benefits”
Pursuant to the regulations of the U.S. Dept. of State, Intern/Trainee participants are required to acquire the approved health insurance plans at their own expense. Therefore, most companies are not burdened with the costs of health insurance. Additionally, Intern/Trainee participants are categorized student that also are exempted from Social Security Tax.
- “Contribution to Society”
Fostering a Japanese talent into globally skilled and minded human resources contributes greatly to international society as wells as the Japanese community within US.
About J1 Intern
- The length of J-1 internship is from 3 months to 18 months. (If your industry is related to hospitality such as hotel, restaurant and so on, the maximum length of internship is up to 12 months.）
- All participants have a certain degree of educational background (at least high school diploma) and work experience in the career fields that they are petitioning.
- All participants are screened and evaluated their English level to meet the standard of J-1 Visa applicants.
- After completing 18 months of J-1 visa program, all J-1 participants are possibility to apply for H-1B visa. (H1-B is commonly known as a working visa.) or other working visa.
Support Provision by GCS Education, Inc.
We provide support to participants and host companies seeking to take advantage of the J-1 Visa Internship Program. Our experience and extensive networks in both Japan and the U.S. allow us to introduce and place highly qualified and competitive interns and trainees with businesses worldwide. At our offices in Japan, we introduce J-1 participants to intern/training opportunities at various prestigious host companies. At our offices in the U.S., our staff works around the clock to provide one-on-one support to host companies. In addition, we provide support to interns/trainees to ensure a smooth transition to the U.S.